Management Knowledge & Education
Welcome to the ‘Management Knowledge and Education’ (MKE) Resources Page
The Management Knowledge and Education page is a platform where those researching and practising management education can share and access materials or contribute to discussions related to the pedagogical development of the field, helping us as a community, explore and generate innovative and progressive teaching practice. It is designed to support a community of management education practitioners and scholars in the broad area of Management Knowledge and Education.
MKE White Paper - Education-focused career tracks in UK Business and Management Schools: Current practice and recommendations for progress, by Professor Lisa Anderson (Co Vice Chair for MKE) and Professor Claire Mallanaphy.
This White Paper has been produced by the MKE Sub-Committee to address the phenomenon of the growing numbers of education-focused academics on ‘Teaching and Scholarship’ (T&S) contracts, and presents findings of our study into the support, development and recognition this education-focused career path receives in Business and Management (B&M) Schools, in UK Higher Education Institutions (HEI). We make use of these findings to define the form and quality of ‘scholarship’ in an education-focused context, including the new SEEL model, and propose an illustrative set of criteria that B&M schools and universities can use to develop and promote T&S academics.
MKE Paper Series 2020
The BAM MKE Committee ran a webinar series organised for BAM members who found themselves faced with the prospect of changing their mode of teaching and would like to either know where to start or to simply pick up some tips as to how to design and implement teaching in these new modes. Our focus will be on how to engage students by creating learning environments and assessments that are enabled and enhanced by the use of technology and blended models. The webinars lookied at the implications for future developments, prompted by the 'emergency' move online but not seeing this as a deficit model but as an opportunity to re-imagine and revolutionise learning and teaching in the management 'classroom'. You can find papers linked to some of the sessions below:
Session 1 Delivering Teaching in Multiple Modes
Session 2: Exploring Assessment Issues in a Virtual Environment
Session 4: Transitioning between Modes – from Campus to Online and Back Again
MKE Education-Focussed Professor Programme 2020
For 2020, we are pleased to say that the Education-Focussed Professor will continue with a series of interactive events. The overarching goals of this MKE project remain:
- To promote the centrality of the scholarship of teaching and learning in business schools and to achieve parity for teaching and scholarship (T&S) academics with research focused academics in consideration of promotion decisions. We propose that the scholarship of teaching and learning and conventional basic research (the scholarship of discovery) should be valued equally in terms of the status, recognition and reward for success.
- To explore and establish the relevance of other forms of scholarship for T&S academics. This may include (to some extent and with particular focus) the scholarship of discovery (conventional research), along with the scholarship of integration and the scholarship of application.
- To provide a programme of development for BAM members who wish to understand the nature and modalities of scholarship and develop their own scholarship profile.
The theme for 2020 is ‘Understanding and Capturing Your Impact’. Here we add the goals of:
- Offering facilitated time to understand and capture your impact to aid learning plus help career advancement.
- Continuing to build on our strong community of scholars via further capacity building events.
For more information on the future sessions of the programme, please click here.