Policy News February 2021
There are a number of Bills currently making their way through Parliament, in addition to many government consultations and parliamentary inquiries announced in recent weeks, that may be of particular interest to our members. I have included a list of these below – and I encourage our members to share their expertise! This is not only a great way to ensure that policy making in the UK is truly evidence-based, but also a great way to improve the impact of your research! There are also a couple of other interesting opportunities for engagement that we wanted to alert you to, below. If you have any questions on how to engage on these issues, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected].
Opportunities of Note
- The Parliamentary Office of Science & Technology (POST) is looking for contributors to a new 'POST Note' on Remote and Flexible Working. To contribute your research and expertise, or act as a peer-reviewer, please see here for more details.
- POST has also identified 20 COVID-19 Areas of Research Interest (ARIs) for UK Parliament, and is inviting experts to add their research relating to these ARIs to a repository that may be used to inform Parliament's work in future. We encourage you to sign up POST’s repository here.
- The International Trade Committee is looking for Special Advisors on a range of issues from e-commerce to economic modelling. To learn more, see here.
Bills before Parliament of Note
- Equal Pay Bill in the Lords
- Financial Services Bill in the Lords
- Financial Services (Duty of Care) Bill in the Lords
- National Minimum Wage Bill in the Commons
- National Security and Investment Bill in the Lords
- Small Business Commissioner and Late Payments Bill in the Lords
- Digital Economy Act 2017 (Commencement of Part 3) Bill in the Lords
Inquiries & Consultations of Note
- The Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund Public Accounts Committee (ends 25 February)
- Inward Foreign Direct Investment International Trade Committee (ends 26 February)
- Measures to extend the ban on exclusivity clauses in contracts of employment BEIS (ends 26 February)
- Measures to reform post-termination non-compete clauses in contracts of employment BEIS (ends 26 February)
- Contracts for Difference (CfD) for low carbon electricity generation: new Supply Chain Plan questionnaire BEIS (ends 11 March)
- COVID-19: Local Government finance Public Accounts Committee (ends 11 March 2021)
- Subsidy control: designing a new approach for the UK BEIS (ends 31 March 2021)
- Implementation of the Investment Firms Prudential Regime and Basel 3 standards consultation HM Treasury (ends 1 April 2021)
- A fair & competitive digital economy – digital levy EU Commission (ends 12 April 2021)
- UK-Australia trade negotiations EU International Agreements Sub-Committee (ends 28 February 2021)
- UK-New Zealand trade negotiations EU International Agreements Sub-Committee (ends 28 February 2021)