BAM’s 'Becoming an Education-Focussed Professor' programme is a unique development programme designed specifically to support Business and Management academics on a teaching and scholarship track (T&S) at all levels to develop their own scholarship profile and career.
Launched in 2019 by the MKE Group of BAM, to date over 400 attendees located in more than 10 countries that have participated on the programme. The programme has focused upon capacity building to define education-focussed scholarship in a way that becomes useable, accessible, and open to assessment, building on the Boyer/Carnegie fundamentals that it should be supported externally and open to peer review.
The programme has the overarching goals of:
- Promoting the centrality of the scholarship of teaching and learning in business schools and to achieve parity for teaching and scholarship (T&S) academics with research-focused academics in consideration of promotion decisions. We propose that the scholarship of teaching and learning and conventional basic research (the scholarship of discovery) should be valued equally in terms of the status, recognition and reward for success.
- Exploring and establishing the relevance of other forms of scholarship for T&S academics. This may include (to some extent and with particular focus) the scholarship of discovery (conventional research), along with the scholarship of integration and the scholarship of application
- Providing a programme of development for BAM members who wish to understand the nature and modalities of scholarship and develop their own scholarship profile.
Workshops this year continue to develop our collective community, to mobilise, and develop individual/collective impact based on the BAM MKE ‘SEEL’ model generated in our MKE White Paper. Specifically, we will individually and collectively reflect upon the criteria that define promotions within our institutions, identifying clear specific actions for the forthcoming year through the programme. These actions will contribute towards our continuous crafting of our scholarly identity, one that helps further promotion for Education-focussed professors.
Session Dates and Venues
All sessions will be face-to-face
- Session 1: The Shard, London (Theme: Education) 27th and 28th March 2023
- Session 2: Belfast (Theme: Engagement) 17th May 2023
- Session 3: Cardiff (Theme: Scholarship) 25th October 2023
- Session 4: Glasgow (Theme: Leadership) 6th December 2023
The programme comprises four workshop sessions (amounting to 5 days total) throughout 2023 to capture, build and showcase your impact based on the findings of the British Academy of Management (BAM) White Paper that investigated Education-focussed professor promotional routes across the UK.
Benefits: To include
- Facilitated reflection upon building your identity as an Education-focussed professor across Scholarship, Engagement, Education and Leadership to aid future promotion
- Locating and engaging with a range of external sources to extend scholarly and career impact
- Joining a community of practice with like-minded scholars where best practices are shared and co-created
BAM Management Knowledge and Education
Expressions of Interest
If you are planning to attend the Education-Focussed Professor Programme and are awaiting funding, please complete your expression of interest by clicking here
If you cannot make the 2023 dates but are interested in joining next year's programme, please contact Eliza Robey at [email protected] to be added to the reserves list.
Early-Bird BAM Member: £550 for all sessions (up until 19th February)
Late BAM Member: £600 for all sessions (up until 6th March)
If you are not a BAM member and would like to join the programme, please become a member first. You will then be able to book a ticket via the 'Book Now' button.
To find out more, and to become a member, please click here
Payment for the event must be received before the start date of the event concerned. Access will not be permitted to the event if full payment has not been received.
Cancellations received within 14 days of booking your place on the event will receive a full refund.
Cancellations received after the 14-day cancellation period and later than 14 days before the start date of the event will not be eligible for a refund.
Although we endeavour to run all events as advertised, BAM reserves the right to cancel any event if, for example, there are not enough people to justify running the event or if other significant unforeseen circumstances arise. Please be aware that delegates are always responsible for insuring their own travel and accommodation against cancellation, and the British Academy of Management is not able to reimburse anyone for these under any circumstances.
For the reimbursement of registration fee notification of cancellation must be received by email to: [email protected] two weeks prior to the event.
If paying by invoice, a purchase order number must be submitted.
If payment is not received by the date on the invoice, your registration will be cancelled, and you will need to register again at the current registration rates.