Who we are
BAM is the leading authority on the academic field of management in the UK, supporting and representing the community of scholars and engaging with international peers. It has over 2000 members, from the UK and around the globe, who include management researchers, practitioners and doctoral students.
Founded in 1986, the British Academy of Management is the leading community for scholars in the field of business and management. Our large, international membership ranges from doctoral students through to senior academics and practitioners, with disciplines across the full field of management. We run a major international conference each year, publish excellent research in our established high-ranking, peer-reviewed journals, recognise excellence through awards, provide grants for research, support members’ career development, influence management knowledge and education, and enable community activity through vibrant networks. Through our policy function we provide independent evidence on policy issues affecting the business & management community and actively mobilise the expertise that resides in our community for public benefit.
We collaborate with international sister bodies, funders of research, learned societies, policymakers, professional bodies and practitioners to expand scholarly networks and influence policy, educational provision, and the design and delivery of curricula and meaningful, impactful research.
Our vision is to be a pluralistic learned society, contributing to the development of management knowledge and practice nationally, and internationally. We will be inclusive, recognise and respect the diversity in our community, and promote excellence in all we do.
You can read more about what we’ve been doing recently in our Annual Review and see where we are going in our four-year strategy: Building on Excellence. You can also read our Directors report HERE.
BAM: we include
Developing and supporting a diverse and inclusive community of business and management scholars has always been at the heart of what we do at the British Academy of Management. The values of Equality, Diversity, Inclusivity and Respect (EDIR) are central to BAM’s current strategy and we are working to implement EDIR best practice across our portfolio of activities. In doing so, we also wish to gather, celebrate and share EDIR ‘best practice’ in other higher education and business and management fields.
To drive the embedding of EDIR values within everything we do, we created a new Vice Chair position in 2020 with the responsibility to make visible and put best EDIR practice in place right across BAM’s portfolio of work through actions including the following:
- Ensuring that the core values of Equality, Diversity, Inclusivity and Respect (EDIR) are fully embedded and reflected in all BAM activities, including:
- Organisation and delivery of BAM’s annual Conference as well as other events organised or supported by BAM;
- Activities of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and the Fellows College;
- Research and publications supported by BAM, including a range of processes associated with the work of BAM’s two journals, the British Journal of Management and the International Journal of Management Reviews;
- Processes involved in allocating grants and awards by BAM.
- Working with the BAM Office to oversee monitoring of Equality, Diversity, Inclusivity and Respect across all BAM activities, as above but also including website, social media and membership, and to report to the BAM Executive Committee on progress.
- Working across committees to advise, alert and recommend best practice actions to improve EDIR.
- Engaging with appropriate external parties to bring best EDIR practice into BAM and the wider BAM community.
- Engaging with appropriate external parties to spread best EDIR practice beyond the BAM community.
- Using appropriate communication channels to articulate BAM’s ongoing commitment and effort directed at making the BAM community, the broader HE sector and all business and management settings more equal and inclusive.
The British Academy of Management is a registered charity (No. 1117999) and is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (Company No. 05869337). It is governed by an elected Council and Executive Committee, supported by a small office team led by the based in London.
Image by David Sivyer, London CC-BY-SA