Facilitator Sought for New BAM Development Programme for Directors of Engagement (DPDoE) 2022-2023
Applications are invited for the role of Facilitator of the new BAM Development Programme for Directors of Engagement (DPDOE). The purpose of the cohort programme is to build capacity in the management and leadership of engagement in UK business schools and schools of management. The successful candidate will have strong facilitation skills and current knowledge of relevant issues.
This new programme has been developed by an international group of higher education business and management scholars and leaders and will complement our long-running flagship Development Programme for Directors of Research. It will be an engaged, action-oriented, peer-learning programme designed to help HEI engagement leads develop and implement an engagement strategy for their school.
DPDOE is constructed as a series of four learning sessions including an end of course Showcase. The first and last session will be held in in-person format, with two online sessions in-between – these are aimed at supporting peer networking, while minimising cost to participants and carbon footprint, as well as the likely ongoing risk of winter infection periods. Further details of each session are found below. The sessions will run across 2 days, from lunchtime to lunchtime, with an evening dinner for the in-person events to support the creation of a self-supporting cohort.
Conceptualised as a peer learning community, we envisage cohorts of no more than 25 participants. This is consistent with what we know works well on our Development Programme for Directors of Research (DPDOR).
Facilitator: Development Programme for Directors of Engagement (DPDOE)
The DPDOE Facilitator will be working, or have been working recently, in the role of engagement or impact lead for their department, school or faculty. They will have credibility and standing, with a strong academic profile. They will have experience in teaching and a proven ability to inspire, motivate and engage an audience, and will have demonstrated commitment and passion.
The purpose of the role of the facilitator is to develop the programme content, facilitate the sessions, liaise with the relevant BAM members of staff to support participants, and evaluate the programme upon completion.
In particular, the Facilitator is required:
- To agree aims and activities for the design of each session (including pre-session preparation by delegates) to deliver a coherent, interesting and topical programme at least one month before the programme starts.
- To agree with BAM the key themes for promotional materials at least three months before the programme starts.
- To recommend approaches to, and assist in, the recruitment of guest speakers for each session. To fill in for guest speakers if required at short notice in exceptional circumstances by giving a presentation or facilitating group work. The majority of guest speakers need to be confirmed at least three months before the start of the programme to assist with marketing activity. In order to meet BAM’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity there must be ethnicity and gender balance among guest speakers.
- To suggest reference materials which will be sent out prior to the first session and further information that will be distributed by email during the programme.
- To adapt the programme during and between sessions in response to delegates development needs and interests and to keep abreast of changes in the higher education environment.
- To attend all sessions and dinners.
- To create and sustain a supportive, open and inclusive learning environment and discussion under the Chatham House rule.
- To consult BAM regarding requests for expenditure. No expenditure will be reimbursed without prior approval by BAM. A budget for the programme and for each event will be drawn up by BAM and shared with the facilitator.
- To alert the relevant BAM member of staff proactively of any issues within the cohort or relating to the programme that may require prompt attention.
- To encourage and respond to feedback and to comment on the completed evaluation forms following each session and the final programme evaluation.
- To make recommendations to changes for future and new programmes at an annual review of the programme with BAM.
The Facilitator is contracted on an annual basis. This will normally be renewed for a second and third year subject to mutual agreement.
A total fee for delivering the programme of £4,000 is payable to the DPDOE Facilitator on completion of the programme.
Please email a covering letter with a two-page CV as a single document in confidence to: Madeleine Barrows, CEO on [email protected] .
Prospective candidates are welcome to discuss the role with Professor Katy Mason, Chair of BAM.
Closing date: 11th July 2022
Interviews will be held in late July or early August.
Further information about this exciting new development programme is available here