Becoming a Research-Oriented Professor
Mid-career is defined as the time after one has mastered the fundamentals of what is required for effectiveness, is ready to seek the next set of challenges……before one starts to prepare for retirement (Baldwin et al., 2014).
Although individuals at mid-career stage perform key roles for their institutions beyond, and represent the largest career group within our community, there has been limited support available in supporting colleagues who aspire to becoming a Professor with a particular focus on research.
- To provide targeted support for mid-career academics who wish to progress to a leadership/ management role in research knowledge and intellectual growth (A2, D2 and E2 of the BAM Framework)
- To offer insight and guidance on writing for publication strategies, including generating impact from published work. Topics include: crafting your research identity; building your publication pipeline and providing effective and humane leadership in your field.
- To offer a platform for sharing best practice in generating research funding, including where to target, how to craft your bid, leading others and networking, delivering your research project.
- To share and draw out best practice in leading and managing others, achieving success, and research/ intellectual growth
The programme will explore the variety of career journeys, barriers and pivot points in a swiftly changing research policy and funding environment.
This initiative includes three interactive sessions at monthly intervals, beginning in early November, on the following topics:
- Session 1: The Career Journey: Friday 20 November 2020, 09:00 - 12:00 GMT
RoP Session 1 Agenda
- Session 2: Researching, Writing and Publishing: Wednesday 13 January 2020, 10:00 - 13:00 GMT
RoP Session 2 Agenda
- Session 3: Research Funding: Tuesday 2 March 2021, 14:00 - 17:00 GMT
Each of the sessions will be provided online, each over a half day, offering networking opportunities during lunch break and the chance to have more focussed discussions in smaller groups through the Breakout Rooms facility in Zoom
BAM Members: £72.50/session
BAM Members: £199 to attend the full programme
Non-BAM Members: £72.50/session + £80 (BAM Membership)
Non-BAM Members: £199 + £80 (BAM Membership) to attend the full programme
You can view a useful blog by Professor Will Harvey, University of Exeter Business School on his reflections on 'Becoming a Research-Professor'