BAM’s 'Becoming an Education-Focussed Professor' programme is a unique development programme designed specifically to support Business and Management academics on a teaching and scholarship track (T&S) at all levels to develop their own scholarship profile and career.
The programme comprises four workshop sessions (amounting to 5 days total) throughout 2024 to capture, build and showcase your impact based on the findings of the British Academy of Management (BAM) White Paper that investigated Education-focussed professor promotional routes across the UK.
Faciliated by BAM Management Knowledge and Education Committee.
All sessions will be in-person
- Session 1: London, Birkbeck, University of London, 25th and 26th March 2024
- Session 2: Belfast, Ulster University, 22nd May 2024 (Optional writing retreat on 23rd May 2024)
- Session 3: Cardiff, (TBC), 23rd October 2024
- Session 4: Glasgow, (TBC), 4 December 2024
Launched in 2019 by the MKE Group of BAM, to date over 400 attendees located in more than 10 countries that have participated on the programme. The programme has focused upon capacity building to define education-focussed scholarship in a way that becomes useable, accessible, and open to assessment.
The programme has the overarching goals of:
- Promoting the centrality of the scholarship of teaching and learning in business schools and to achieve parity for teaching and scholarship (T&S) academics with research-focused academics in consideration of promotion decisions. We propose that the scholarship of teaching and learning and conventional basic research (the scholarship of discovery) should be valued equally in terms of the status, recognition and reward for success.
- Exploring and establishing the relevance of other forms of scholarship for T&S academics. This may include (to some extent and with particular focus) the scholarship of discovery (conventional research), along with the scholarship of integration and the scholarship of application
- Providing a programme of development for BAM members who wish to understand the nature and modalities of scholarship and develop their own scholarship profile.
- Facilitated reflection upon building your identity as an Education-focussed professor across Scholarship, Engagement, Education and Leadership to aid future promotion
- Locating and engaging with a range of external sources to extend scholarly and career impact
- Joining a community of practice with like-minded scholars where best practices are shared and co-created
Early-Bird BAM Member: £795 for all sessions (up until 31st January 2024)
Late BAM Member: £870 for all sessions (up until 8th March 2024)
If you are not a BAM member and would like to join the programme, please become a member first. You will then be able to book a ticket via the 'Book Now' button.
To find out more, and to become a member, please click here
If you are planning to attend the Education-Focussed Professor Programme (EFP) and are awaiting funding, please complete your expression of interest by clicking here.
If you cannot make the 2024 dates but are interested in joining next year's programme, please complete your expression of interest here and we will get in touch when we launch EFP 2025.
Payment for the event must be received before the start date of the event concerned. Access will not be permitted to the event if full payment has not been received.
Cancellations received within 14 days of booking your place on the event will receive a full refund.
Cancellations received after the 14-day cancellation period and later than 14 days before the start date of the event will not be eligible for a refund.
Although we endeavour to run all events as advertised, BAM reserves the right to cancel any event if, for example, there are not enough people to justify running the event or if other significant unforeseen circumstances arise. Please be aware that delegates are always responsible for ensuring their own travel and accommodation against cancellation, and the British Academy of Management is not able to reimburse anyone for these under any circumstances.
To cancel a booking a cancellation request must be submitted via your BAM Account, to do this:
- Go to your BAM Account
- Click 'My Events'
- Under 'Upcoming Events' will be the booking, please click Cancel Booking
- Follow the steps and complete the request